Skip to main content

Do you feel like you are putting on a mask, when you have all this anxiety and you don’t want the world to know? Anxiety lesson 5




Anxiety lesson 5

Negative thinking and self-talk

Do you feel like you are putting on a mask, when you have all this anxiety and you don’t want the world to know? Do you have constant negative chatter going on?

We assume that situations and not cognitions (your judgement of threat) is responsible for your anxiety. Anxious and fearful people are much more likely to overestimate the intensity of threat, which of course then leads to avoidance of situations. We do this by reinforcing the negative all the time with negative thoughts and self-talk.

Negative thoughts and self-talk is automatic, we have hundreds of negative thoughts everyday and catching them as they run through your brain and looking at them closer is a very difficult thing indeed and takes a lot of practice. YOU CAN LEARN TO SLOW DOWN AND NOTICE YOUR NEGATIVE TALK

With self-talk comes a whole host of other information that is lumped together such as images, memories and associations. Identifying self-talk may be about unpicking several thoughts from an image or single word.

Also, the negative talk or thought is almost always irrational, it sounds so convincing and truthful that it is hard to ignore. It really does become the truth because the anxious state doesn’t allow for us to consider information that it contra to that thought.

Negative self-talk/thoughts reinforce avoidance. You talk to yourself let’s say about the bus being dangerous

‘people stare at me when I get on’

‘I won’t get my words out when buying a ticket and the bus driver will be annoyed’

‘the last time I got on the bus it didn’t feel safe’

‘there are always people that want to make conversation on the bus and I can’t make conversation’

So, you avoid getting on the bus and will employ any strategy that helps you to avoid getting on the bus. The bus becomes this terribly awful thing that is no longer about buying a ticket and just sitting down until its time to get off, instead it is an event that involves the very worst-case scenario on the bus journey from hell.  In short, anxious thoughts leads to avoidance of the situation it also stops us considering the most likely outcome.

Self-talk can start or heighten a panic attack and although I don’t want to concentrate on panic attacks in this blog, it is worth explaining that self-talk at the beginnings of a panic attack starts to turn all our focus inward. At this point we no longer notice what is happening around us, we just focus on our psychological feelings

E.g. “My heart is pounding faster”

“I feel dizzy”

 “what if I collapse”

“I’ve gone hot and my chest has gone tight, that’s the start of a heart attack”

 So, the fear of this exacerbates the symptoms, without wanting to sound unkind. It becomes a self-induced state. From now on name it ‘false panic[HH1]  talk’ More on panic attacks later in the blog series.

Anxious Negative self-talk always assumes the worst. ‘Everybody has done more revision than me, I’m going to fail’

To counter this thought you would say

1) “you can’t work on what everyone else is doing, you can only work on what you are doing. 2) A more real statement would be ‘Some people will have done more revision than me, some will have done about the same and some will have done less”’

3) “Where is the evidence that people have done more revision”.

4) “Historically how many exams have I totally failed (this requires you to mentally go back one by one and literally tick them off)”

5) “I am confident I have done all I can, let’s see how it goes”

My future mother in law is coming, I have to make sure everything is perfect. She has to like me”

To counter this thought you would say

“why wouldn’t she like me, I’m a good person”

“is it actually true she has to like me, is it necessary for my wellbeing that she approves of me”

What is the worst that could happen, I am surviving and have other people who care for and support me”?

When you counter the anxiety self-talk, it must be in the present tense because the negative self-talk it in the present tense. E.g. “I am confident, I am surviving”

So, the questions are:

What is the evidence that supports this, if I took this thought to court could I prove it was true?

Am I basing this thought on facts or on feelings?

Is it an all or nothing thought?  (the more likely scenario is always in between)

If my friend said this to me how would I respond?

It is hard to do at first, I have attached a thought sheet so you can record your thoughts and work on them. https://www.therapistaid.com/worksheets/socratic-questioning.pdf

It is a whole new habit to create, but we create habits all the time that sometimes aren’t good for us. This does require work, maybe it could be a new year’s resolution to work on negative self-talk and with this will come self-compassion. This can only be positive.

If you have liked this blog and found it useful, please share it and share on Facebook as well.   





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anxiety lesson 6 – Expression of feelings, those pesky things!!

Photo by Morgan Basham on Unsplash Anxiety lesson 6 – Expression of feelings Its not uncommon for people with anxiety disorders to withhold their true feelings. There are many reasons for this, one common one is the need to be in control and a fear of losing it. When feelings have been denied over time, anxiety can start to manifest. I wrote about this briefly in Anxiety lesson 1 potential causes https://helenharveycounselling.blogspot.com/2017/10/anxiety-learning-potential-causes.html Because people with anxiety/phobic tendency tend to be emotionally reactive and have very strong feelings, the expression of them is even more important for their emotional well-being. When I did my degree in Person Centred Therapy, it was a requirement that you checked in with yourself and others in the morning, also a portion of the day was dedicated to personal development. Again, this is a discipline that requires practice, to notice and name feelings and the memories/events that a

Ideas on Self-esteem feedback for your teenage boys

  Things could be hurting over time for your teenage boy and you may never know. Anyone who has different sex children reports feeling at a loss in navigating the differences when it comes to teenage years. It is true that there is a crisis in masculinity for teenage boys. They are expected to be sensitive, but not the group p***y. They are expected to be persistent but not overbearing. Caring but not needy. The language used by teenagers blurs these things and words that don’t suit a person’s characteristics are banded about and may have more sticking power than they should do. If we model empathy and sincerity, we have a greater chance of our boys feeling comfortable displaying these qualities. You could express things that your teenager may not have considered about themselves but when said rings true for them. Below is a list of words that have nothing to do with image or how someone looks and everything to do with inner qualities. When you notice one of these qualities bei

Mental Health - How do we become resilient, this blog has some answers

As a PODS trained trauma therapist, I have worked with people who have experienced the worst that life has to offer in terms of family relationships and traumatic life events. These clients have functioned well to some extent, they have coped, they have kept going. If we are to try and pick resilience apart, learn the aspects that we can practice in everyday life then these clients have something to teach us. Resilience involves three measurable elements 1)       An adversity has occurred – traumatic experience or stressful event 2)       Evidence of healthy functioning must be present after the adversity 3)       The mechanisms a person employs to avoid the distress or recover from it Health is not measured by an absence of pathology, it is important that assessment of well-being in addition to symptoms is undertaken to treat people holistically. What do I mean by this? does the GP or the school or the CAMHS assessor think about all these facets separately? Res

Mumsnet

mumsnet