Skip to main content

How to emotionally meet your teenager…explore your own reactions!


How to emotionally meet your teenager…explore your own reactions

Before I go on with this post, I would like to say that the following is what I aim for, it doesn’t always go to plan, no one is a perfect parent all of the time!


It is too easy for us as parents to hold onto the feelings generated when we argue with our teenagers. Teenagers say some horrible things when they are angry, and they are usually angry when they can’t get what they want. We dwell on what is said, we find it hard to comprehend the unreasonableness of our teenager.

We think and say loudly sometimes...what is going on, What planet is he/she on?

They are on the planet of “self-serving, self-centred, peer orientated, urgent gratification, my needs matter more than anyone’s planet”.

It is really really hard not to be hurt by their actions or some of the things they say in a temper.

When my daughter was younger (primary school age) tantrums did not happen often, but when they did occur, they were pretty turbulent. Sometimes within these she would say ‘your mean, I don’t like you’ and my response was always ‘well that’s a shame because I really love you’ this used to dampen down the energy somewhat, now instead of using those words (although I do tell her I love her every morning) My actions, more than my words, say I love her.


I try and keep my conscious attention on what’s happening, instead of being all churned up with emotion.

So, after an argument or an outburst I do still do the following things:

·       Go and collect her when she has missed the bus/spent the bus fare. Car journeys seem to be a place where things get ironed out (it’s to do with little eye contact)

·       After a big explosion…I leave it 20 minutes and go up to her room, make it clear the explosion is not ok, but is there anything I can do to help?

·       When she has done something really silly or dangerous (summer term this year), I put in the consequences and then get on with relating to her in exactly the same way as before. I don’t hold grudges. I am the grown up and have been on the planet much longer than she has. I try and respond, not react. By doing this I am more aware of my daughters needs and feelings, I can zoom out from situations and not feel bad afterwards about impulsive arguments.

Everyone makes mistakes…teenagers even more so (it’s a brain development thing).

·       I still ask her to come food shopping with me, I like the company and she has some valuable ideas on meals.

·       Try to understand, try not to make judgments, don’t make some throwaway comment starting ‘oh right what you going to do now, blah blah blah.

·       Perhaps most importantly, don’t make judgements about friends and boyfriends in conversation after arguments. Your teenager is not interested in your views on friendships, they think you are out of date.

What all these things do is offer the olive branch and teach your child that they are loved regardless of behaviour, A behaviour plan is the thing that irons out behaviour. Love and understanding is what keeps them close.

If you have liked this post please subscribe at the top of the page. Please also like and share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anxiety lesson 6 – Expression of feelings, those pesky things!!

Photo by Morgan Basham on Unsplash Anxiety lesson 6 – Expression of feelings Its not uncommon for people with anxiety disorders to withhold their true feelings. There are many reasons for this, one common one is the need to be in control and a fear of losing it. When feelings have been denied over time, anxiety can start to manifest. I wrote about this briefly in Anxiety lesson 1 potential causes https://helenharveycounselling.blogspot.com/2017/10/anxiety-learning-potential-causes.html Because people with anxiety/phobic tendency tend to be emotionally reactive and have very strong feelings, the expression of them is even more important for their emotional well-being. When I did my degree in Person Centred Therapy, it was a requirement that you checked in with yourself and others in the morning, also a portion of the day was dedicated to personal development. Again, this is a discipline that requires practice, to notice and name feelings and the memories/events that a

Ideas on Self-esteem feedback for your teenage boys

  Things could be hurting over time for your teenage boy and you may never know. Anyone who has different sex children reports feeling at a loss in navigating the differences when it comes to teenage years. It is true that there is a crisis in masculinity for teenage boys. They are expected to be sensitive, but not the group p***y. They are expected to be persistent but not overbearing. Caring but not needy. The language used by teenagers blurs these things and words that don’t suit a person’s characteristics are banded about and may have more sticking power than they should do. If we model empathy and sincerity, we have a greater chance of our boys feeling comfortable displaying these qualities. You could express things that your teenager may not have considered about themselves but when said rings true for them. Below is a list of words that have nothing to do with image or how someone looks and everything to do with inner qualities. When you notice one of these qualities bei

Mental Health - How do we become resilient, this blog has some answers

As a PODS trained trauma therapist, I have worked with people who have experienced the worst that life has to offer in terms of family relationships and traumatic life events. These clients have functioned well to some extent, they have coped, they have kept going. If we are to try and pick resilience apart, learn the aspects that we can practice in everyday life then these clients have something to teach us. Resilience involves three measurable elements 1)       An adversity has occurred – traumatic experience or stressful event 2)       Evidence of healthy functioning must be present after the adversity 3)       The mechanisms a person employs to avoid the distress or recover from it Health is not measured by an absence of pathology, it is important that assessment of well-being in addition to symptoms is undertaken to treat people holistically. What do I mean by this? does the GP or the school or the CAMHS assessor think about all these facets separately? Res

Mumsnet

mumsnet