Skip to main content

Argumentative child/teenager…Here’s how to lessen that. (3 minute read)






First of all, don’t argue with them, why? because you will make them good at arguing! Practice makes perfect. In CBT they have a phrase ‘what fires together, wires together’ it sort of explains how wonky thinking and behaviour is formed. What you are trying to aim for is reflective thought in yourself and your teenager.


So, first of all before new actions and responses can be installed you have to undo the set of behaviours that you don’t want. You have to interrupt that pattern.

What you don’t want is your teenager thinking they have all the answers. Firstly, because his/her answers aren’t always right and second it will drive you mad.


Think of it as a dance, you’re not willing to dance on demand anymore as you are saving your energy for other important things. The other important things are noticing, being present, hearing the message in the noise and most importantly keeping yourself regulated for the sake of yourself and everyone else in the family.


If you don’t manage to keep regulated every once in a while, don’t worry as every parent on the planet has done the mad screamy responses. Just make a vow now that you are going to be different to get a different outcome. So how do we go about withdrawing from the `dance’?

1.       “I’ve given up having arguments for a couple of weeks, I’ll come back to you in 10 minutes”

2.       “I just need to put something in the oven/say something to dad/get something from the car when I come back, I want this conversation to be different”

3.       “This is shouting, I don’t want to be good at that” walk away

4.       “How would it be if I whispered like this while you were shouting, that would be strange wouldn’t it, so let’s just talk at a normal level.”


You are basically interrupting the pattern of what usually happens, for you and for them.

The second thing you need to practice is really difficult and requires you to concentrate. It is modelling and teaching an optimistic outlook. The absence of optimism is catastrophising, black and white thinking, personalising with negative thinking.


Personalising – It’s my fault


Black and white thinking – Its going to be a disaster


Catastrophising – I ALWAYS mess up


Why is this important? because pessimistic teenagers are quick to anger. I am not saying this is easy, changing our outlook is a full-time job never mind someone else’s. So how do we do this?


No matter what the end result of a situation, the most important thing is to help your teenager self-evaluate. “What would you change if you could” “what will you do differently for a different result”?


Notice positive things about other situations outside of the ones concerning you and your teenager.


When you get back in the car at the petrol station for example “It’s good that the guy in the petrol station is smiley, it cheers me up”

“I like the fact you help me when I’m carrying heavy stuff”

“its good that school have organised the lunchtime that way”


Its pretty hard to think of examples if I’m honest. I don’t just mean saying things for saying things sake, but to really feel the things you communicate that are about positive stuff.


What tends to happen when teenagers are going through these difficult years is that communication becomes less and less and then the only communication that you do have is to ask them to do something or to complain about something that they haven’t done. It is important that something with a different vibe is communicated between you both. 


These things are not easy and require self-control in the first instance and lots of noticing in the second. I can’t stress enough how quickly negative exchanges take a hold, for example always arguments at tea time, always arguments in the car at the weekend etc, it is because it triggers something (good or bad) that helps the teenager recognise what the next expected steps are. It’s an unconscious thing on the teenager/child’s part. Again, I stress, by doing the above things you are interrupting the pattern. 


Please subscribe to my blog and please share to people who may find it helpful. I run workshops on teenager mental health and parenting, for more information go to https://www.facebook.com/TalkingToTeenagers/












Comments

  1. Wow, amazing block structure! How long
    Have you written a blog before? Working on a blog seems easy.
    The overview of your website is pretty good, not to mention what it does.
    In the content!
    vstkey.com
    Overloud TH-U Full Crack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, amazing block structure! How long
    Have you written a blog before? Working on a blog seems easy.
    The overview of your website is pretty good, not to mention what it does.
    In the content!
    vstkey.com
    Overloud TH-U Full Crack
    Waves 12 Complete Crack
    FL Studio Crack

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m just upset that I have been in pain and crying for so long and many times. Thank you voodoospelltemple80@gmail.com I wished I would have found you earlier, you would have saved me from a lot of pain for the past five years my ex lover left me for another woman in just 2 days i contacted you Dr BEN you brought my broken relationship back I spent a small fortune enough to take my dream trip to South Carolina but what’s the point in taking a dream trip without the love of my life. Dr BEN has given me hope and his honesty is a breath of fresh air, I feel so good and heavy happiness in my heart to get my ex lover back. Who I thought he was gone forever. We are married now as I share my testimony with you. If you have broken relationship or broken marriage or you want to get your ex lover back kindly contact: voodoospelltemple80@gmail.com or Whatsapp him +2347044745704

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m just upset that I have been in pain and crying for so long and many times. Thank you voodoospelltemple80@gmail.com I wished I would have found you earlier, you would have saved me from a lot of pain for the past five years my ex lover left me for another woman in just 2 days i contacted you Dr BEN you brought my broken relationship back I spent a small fortune enough to take my dream trip to South Carolina but what’s the point in taking a dream trip without the love of my life. Dr BEN has given me hope and his honesty is a breath of fresh air, I feel so good and heavy happiness in my heart to get my ex lover back. Who I thought he was gone forever. We are married now as I share my testimony with you. If you have broken relationship or broken marriage or you want to get your ex lover back kindly contact: voodoospelltemple80@gmail.com or Whatsapp him +2347044745704

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anxiety lesson 6 – Expression of feelings, those pesky things!!

Photo by Morgan Basham on Unsplash Anxiety lesson 6 – Expression of feelings Its not uncommon for people with anxiety disorders to withhold their true feelings. There are many reasons for this, one common one is the need to be in control and a fear of losing it. When feelings have been denied over time, anxiety can start to manifest. I wrote about this briefly in Anxiety lesson 1 potential causes https://helenharveycounselling.blogspot.com/2017/10/anxiety-learning-potential-causes.html Because people with anxiety/phobic tendency tend to be emotionally reactive and have very strong feelings, the expression of them is even more important for their emotional well-being. When I did my degree in Person Centred Therapy, it was a requirement that you checked in with yourself and others in the morning, also a portion of the day was dedicated to personal development. Again, this is a discipline that requires practice, to notice and name feelings and the memories/events that a

Ideas on Self-esteem feedback for your teenage boys

  Things could be hurting over time for your teenage boy and you may never know. Anyone who has different sex children reports feeling at a loss in navigating the differences when it comes to teenage years. It is true that there is a crisis in masculinity for teenage boys. They are expected to be sensitive, but not the group p***y. They are expected to be persistent but not overbearing. Caring but not needy. The language used by teenagers blurs these things and words that don’t suit a person’s characteristics are banded about and may have more sticking power than they should do. If we model empathy and sincerity, we have a greater chance of our boys feeling comfortable displaying these qualities. You could express things that your teenager may not have considered about themselves but when said rings true for them. Below is a list of words that have nothing to do with image or how someone looks and everything to do with inner qualities. When you notice one of these qualities bei

Social media bullying, the effects are far reaching for everyone involved. What you can do to support your teenager

  Social media bullying, the effects are far reaching for everyone involved. What you can do to support your teenager Overwhelmed and panicked is the feeling both teenagers and their parents experience when bullying happens on social media. The themes that play out over the days and weeks of this harassment is: Intrusion Isolation Embarrassment Lack of control over events Repetitive Helplessness Fight or flight Frustrated A lack of voice A lack of autonomy Those themes are also used to describe PTSD and that is because being bullied on social media or real life bullying over time is traumatic. In particular criterion D and E in the diagnosis of PTSD very much relates to the list above. It changes the life course and life stages, because in some circumstances the teenager has to bring an end to the cycle themselves by withdrawing from school, this brings a whole host of loses that this blog can’t cover in one go. Let’s take each of the themes above and expand

Mumsnet

mumsnet