Skip to main content

Year 10 GCSE anxiety and pressure, it is becoming ridiculous and cruel…parents stop it before it starts!



Year 10 GCSE anxiety and pressure, it is becoming ridiculous and cruel…parents stop it before it starts! Here’s how.

I have written before about GCSE anxiety and how to manage the expectations from school, within that blog I spoke of very practical things you can do as a parent to ease the worry on the run up to exam season. You can read that blog here https://helenharveycounselling.blogspot.com/2017/08/do-you-have-child-doing-their-gcses.html

Yesterday I read a ridiculous article featuring a former head teacher from Harrow in which he stated that revising for 7 hours a day is the recommended thing to do during the Easter holidays. I read on further down the article in the hope there was an ‘expert’ psychologist or mental health expert telling Barnaby Lenon that he was totally out of touch and spouting dangerous s**t. Unfortunately, no, the experts were too polite about it and should be complaining that their bums are hurting from sitting too much on the fence.

This kind of results driven pressure is contributing to our teenager’s poor mental health and their perception of ‘good enough’. Not only do our teenagers make the comparisons of physical appearance and lifestyle on their Instagram and snapchat accounts, but they can go into school from year 10 onwards and hear the message of not good enough every day.

This type of pressure is dangerous, irresponsible and bordering on cruel.

My year 10 and 11 clients report that it is shoved down their throats in form time, assembly, in lessons and at parent’s evenings. Revision guides are flogged to parents from the start of year 10.

If we don’t try and dampen down this message of endless revision and A* status then we are in danger of leading our teenagers into an adult world of anxiety and perfectionism.

My daughter’s end of term report gives her the highest number for effort, so technically she couldn’t try harder, but her ‘working at’ level is equivalent to a D/C. Understandably she has started to worry and believes there is a magic formula to it that she just isn’t getting.

Today I thought I would share with you the thinking that could be adopted by your teenager with help from you as a parent.  I have this conversation with my clients and I recently talked with my daughter about this.

I was sorting laundry upstairs and my daughter was doing a lot of sighing with her hands on her hips. I asked tentatively what was bothering her, she replied that she was worried she wouldn’t get good grades and that the teachers were talking about GCSE’s all the time and it felt so hard to stay with this train of thought as it made her anxious.

I replied ‘we are not doing that’

‘doing what’ she responded’

‘we are not starting to think about what might happen even if you try your best, I am not starting to say to you that you have to work to saturation level to get the difference from a grade 5 to a 6 in physics that you don’t like and will probably never use in your working life.

The most I have taken from Physics in my life is that my laundry door doesn’t open when it is hot whether because materials expand. I have forgotten everything else. We are going to do what needs doing when the time comes. I had to resit my GCSE year. I decided to go back and study when I was 36 years old and got a degree, whatever results you gain in the next two years DO NOT DETERMINE the course of your life. The results make the journey a little shorter to the destination, but it is not the end of the world if you don’t get them now’

Within this message I am not communicating that she doesn’t need to try her best, I am communicating that I am not prepared to reinforce this message of get the results...NO MATTER WHAT! 

I know loads of talented people from my year that got great results and went off to university and squandered their chances in all the wrong places, those people got to their destination at the same time as me.

To buy into this results/pressure/last chance mentality reminds me of the Grand national horse race when they are whipping the last bit of anything out of a horse that is already trying its best. IT LOOKS CRUEL and IS CRUEL and I’m not prepared to do that with my children.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anxiety lesson 6 – Expression of feelings, those pesky things!!

Photo by Morgan Basham on Unsplash Anxiety lesson 6 – Expression of feelings Its not uncommon for people with anxiety disorders to withhold their true feelings. There are many reasons for this, one common one is the need to be in control and a fear of losing it. When feelings have been denied over time, anxiety can start to manifest. I wrote about this briefly in Anxiety lesson 1 potential causes https://helenharveycounselling.blogspot.com/2017/10/anxiety-learning-potential-causes.html Because people with anxiety/phobic tendency tend to be emotionally reactive and have very strong feelings, the expression of them is even more important for their emotional well-being. When I did my degree in Person Centred Therapy, it was a requirement that you checked in with yourself and others in the morning, also a portion of the day was dedicated to personal development. Again, this is a discipline that requires practice, to notice and name feelings and the memories/events that a

Ideas on Self-esteem feedback for your teenage boys

  Things could be hurting over time for your teenage boy and you may never know. Anyone who has different sex children reports feeling at a loss in navigating the differences when it comes to teenage years. It is true that there is a crisis in masculinity for teenage boys. They are expected to be sensitive, but not the group p***y. They are expected to be persistent but not overbearing. Caring but not needy. The language used by teenagers blurs these things and words that don’t suit a person’s characteristics are banded about and may have more sticking power than they should do. If we model empathy and sincerity, we have a greater chance of our boys feeling comfortable displaying these qualities. You could express things that your teenager may not have considered about themselves but when said rings true for them. Below is a list of words that have nothing to do with image or how someone looks and everything to do with inner qualities. When you notice one of these qualities bei

Mental Health - How do we become resilient, this blog has some answers

As a PODS trained trauma therapist, I have worked with people who have experienced the worst that life has to offer in terms of family relationships and traumatic life events. These clients have functioned well to some extent, they have coped, they have kept going. If we are to try and pick resilience apart, learn the aspects that we can practice in everyday life then these clients have something to teach us. Resilience involves three measurable elements 1)       An adversity has occurred – traumatic experience or stressful event 2)       Evidence of healthy functioning must be present after the adversity 3)       The mechanisms a person employs to avoid the distress or recover from it Health is not measured by an absence of pathology, it is important that assessment of well-being in addition to symptoms is undertaken to treat people holistically. What do I mean by this? does the GP or the school or the CAMHS assessor think about all these facets separately? Res

Mumsnet

mumsnet